Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Strategy and Success

1. So far I really like how much we talk about things in class. Like how we went over the Epic of Gilgamesh story and the other short stories so that we could fully understand them and smooth out all of the creases. I also like how we review the vocab roots to really get them engraved in our heads, and how we devote wednesday to only vocab basically so we have time to understand all of it as well. 

2. My greatest disappointments so far have been my grades on my  last vocab test and early short story quizzes. I know now the reason I received low grades on these quizzes/exams and I am changing the way I study now to hopefully prevent them. 

3. So far for the vocab tests I have looked at the words and their definitions through the book reading them over and over thinking I was getting them memorized. I have since figured out that I need to make flash cards of all the words and their roots so i can memorize them without seeing the definitions slightly and not memorizing them in order. 
For the reading quizzes I have read the story and taken some notes. Then set the story aside and didn't go back to it until right before class started. I also may have been reading the story and zoning out for parts of it because I was not making it interesting for myself to read. 

4. I don't really know what kind of learner I am. I do know that I'm not a aural learner because i don't do as well on oral exams as I do on ones I have to read myself. It does help me when I have movements to go with different things I am trying to memorize but I also like to have visual pictures, timelines, or typed papers of information. 


No comments: